What to Do When the Spouse Leaves the State with the Kids

If your spouse has left the state of Florida with your children, you are probably feeling a mix of confusion, anger, and fear. What are your legal rights as a parent in this situation? How can you ensure your children’s safety and well-being? As a custody lawyer in Hernando County, FL, we often work with clients facing this exact scenario. That is why today we will provide you with helpful information and tips on what to do when your spouse leaves the state with the kids.

Understand the Law – In Florida, it is illegal for a parent to take a child out of the state without the other parent’s consent or a court order. If your spouse has violated this law, it is important to speak with an experienced custody lawyer right away. You may need to file an emergency motion with the court to have your children returned to the state.

Contact Law Enforcement – If you believe your children are in danger or at risk, do not hesitate to contact local law enforcement. They can assist you in locating your children and enforcing any court orders that are in place.

Document Your Communication – Keep a record of any communication you have with your spouse, including texts, emails, and phone calls. If your spouse is refusing to return your children to Florida, these messages can be used as evidence in court.

Hire an Attorney – Dealing with the legal implications of child custody can be overwhelming, especially if your spouse has left the state with your children. A skilled custody lawyer can assist you in navigating the legal process and ensuring the best possible outcome for your children.

Seek Counseling – Separation from your children can be emotionally draining. Seek the help of a therapist or counselor to assist you in coping with the stress and anxiety of your situation.